Scotlands History

Ring of Brodgar

This famous Neolithic stone circle, or henge, lies on a strip of farmland between two large freshwater lochs on the Mainland of Orkney, near Skara Brae and Maes Howe.

Built between 2500 and 2000 BC, it may have been used for rituals, or for astronomical observation of the equinoxes and solstices. The standing-stone circle has a diameter of about 104 metres.

The Ring of Brodgar is often compared with the larger, but more recent Calanais (2000-1500 BC) on the Isle of Lewis; or with the Avebury Stone Circle or Stonehenge (in Wiltshire).

  • A photograph of Ring of Brodgar standing stones

Click on the image to view a larger version.