Scotlands History

Balmoral

The Balmoral estate, halfway between Ballater and Braemar, dates from the 15th century.

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert visited Balmoral in 1848 and, duly impressed, purchased it outright in 1853. The existing residence was demolished and replaced by the neo-Gothic Balmoral Castle in 1855, under supervision from Prince Albert. It has a fine tower, lots of pepper pot turrets, and even an ogee turret for contrast.

Today there are statues and cottages in the 30,000-acre grounds to commemorate various members of the Royal Family. Royal Deeside is the name now given to this area of outstanding natural beauty, as the Queen and her family continue to enjoy their Scottish retreat in late summer every year.

  • photograph of Balmoral

Click on the image to view a larger version.